Camille Sebastian Nachet (1799-1881) was a Parisian optician who began by producing lenses for the well-known microscope manufacturer Chevalier, later setting up his own business. The first of them were of the drum type, in the image and likeness of those that were made in those days to gradually introduce their own and unmistakable models, which were imitated by other manufacturers. At the London exhibition of 1851 he received an award for the quality of his lens and surpassed in recognition that of his master of his Chevalier of his. Along with Oberhauser, these three manufacturers are considered the best in France of the 19th century and in fact, Nachet is the only one that has maintained the brand until today.
This microscope is perfectly preserved. It has the name and address engraved on the base and, thanks to the latter, together with the type of micrometer, we can deduce that it was built in the period between 1880 and 1885 when it had its headquarters at Rue St Severin 17 in Paris. . The focus method is by sliding the tube and has a fine adjustment mechanism. It is equipped with three original objectives, with its own thread and different from the RMS, 3 eyepieces, a vertical illuminator and a lucida camera. The mirror can be oriented by means of a sophisticated joint.
References: "Billings Microscope Collection" pag 103, fig. 193
"Billings Microscope Collection" pag 195, fig. 374
G. Turner, Collecting Microscopes, pag 85
H. Moe, "The Story of the Microscopes", pag 194-207