Charles Chevalier (1804-1859) began working with his father, Vincent (1770-1841) until completing his apprenticeship in 1821. Vincent was, in turn, a disciple of Lerebours, one of the first renowned French opticians. He was one of the first to build multi-lens objectives to try to correct chromatic aberrations but did not fully succeed. Between 1832 and 1849 he had his workshop at 163 Palais Royal street in Paris, moving that year to 158 of the same street.
In combination with other constructors, he designed the universal horizontal microscope, of which this model is a simpler and earlier version but which already includes many of the pieces that were part of the previous one. It is perfectly preserved, keeping its original lacquer in perfect condition. The engraved address is 158 Palais Royal street, so it was built between 1849 and 1859, although it was already manufactured in 1842 since its catalog for that year describes it as a microscope that can be used as simple or compound, with achromatic lenses, eyepieces, and accessories, all housed in a mahogany case. It was sold from 180 French francs. It also appears in Charles Chevalier's book "Des Microscopes et de leur usage" from 1839.
References: "Billings Microscope Collection" pag 33, fig. 62
H. Moe, "The Story of the Microscope", pag 140-143
G. Turner, Collecting Microscopes, pag 42