Williams and Samuel Jones were two brothers who, at the end of the 18th century, bought the rights and material from George Adams upon his death, who had been one of the greatest promoters of microscopes in previous years. It is believed that William had worked with him, as well as with Benjamin Martin, another of the great builders of the time. They settled first at 135 Holborn Street and in 1800 they moved to 30 Holborn Street, where they built a wide variety of scientific instruments. William died in 1831 and his brother continued the business until 1860.
This model belongs to the design known as "The Most Improved Microscope" by the Jones brothers. It was presented in a similar version in 1897 and it is considered the complete development of the model designed by John Cuff half a century earlier, since it incorporated all the advances and accessories of the time, such as "Bullseye", "live-box", tweezers, different objectives and a condenser under the observation deck. The focus mechanism moves it instead of the optics, which is totally contrary to what microscopes would be from this moment on. The microscope is in good condition, although it does not have all the accessories. Its height is 42 cm.
References: "Billings Microscope Collection" pag 22, fig. 39
G. Turner, "Great Age of the Microscope", pag 39,40,41
G. Turner, Collecting Microscopes, pag 63,64