Camille Sebastian Nachet (1799-1881) was a Parisian optician who began by producing lenses for the well-known microscope manufacturer Charles Chevalier, later setting up his own business. The first models of it were of the drum type, in the image and likeness of those that were made in those days to gradually introduce their own and unmistakable models, which were imitated by other manufacturers. At the London exhibition of 1851 he received an award for the quality of his lens and surpassed in recognition that of his master of his Chevalier of his. Along with Oberhauser, these three manufacturers are considered the best in France of the 19th century and in fact, Nachet is the only one that has maintained the brand until today.
Excellent and elegant drum-type brass microscope made by Camille Nachet in the second half of the 19th century when he was already working with his son Alfred. The microscope is perfectly preserved, it has the name and address engraved on the arm and, thanks to the latter, together with the type of micrometer, we can deduce that it was built in the period between 1856 and 1862 when it was based in the street St Severin 16 of Paris. It has 5 objectives and a complex system for observations with polarized light, as well as other accessories such as a camera lucida and a beautiful bronze micrometer with 100 divisions. With its 36 cm in working position, it is surely the largest drum microscope ever built by any manufacturer.
References: "Billings Microscope Collection", pag 52, fig. 97
G. Turner, "The Great Age of the Microscope", pag 211, Fig 218
H. Moe, "The Story of the Microscopes", pag 194-207